Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Ideas for Writing Methods and a New Story

Crazy idea last night: I wonder if anyone has ever tried to write a good short story, then expanded each sentence into a paragraph? Assuming a twenty-page story, you'd end up with a whole novel. Expanding each paragraph into a chapter would give you a whole series of novels! But would they be any good? It would certainly be an interesting project. It's sort of similar to the "snowflake method" of writing a novel.

This idea was inspired by a story idea I had last night that got me excited. Well, not so much a story idea, but a character, a setting, and a few scenes. That doesn't really make a story, and probably the reason I haven't written many stories is because they don't come to me naturally. I love coming up with settings, but the stories are usually forced.

My proposed character is a Christian man, a pacifist, during the Texas Revolution in the 1830s. His grandfather was loyal to the Crown during the American Revolution, and this man just wants to be left alone with his family. But he's forced to take up arms against authorities and bandits alike. It's similar to a story I began to write a couple of years ago about a Syrian missionary in 1st-century Tibet, except this new character has a family and he's not as outgoing. There would be plenty of violence and maybe even elements of mild horror. It could even be developed as a series of stand-alone stories, like for a pulp series or comic book.

I've already thought about developing a script for a webcomic based on this idea, as my 1st-century story was meant to be. If an actual plot comes into my head, maybe I'll put my novel on hold and write a comic script or a short story.

Last week I really wanted to find a western-styled band that sang about the violent, scary stuff I see in spaghetti westerns. I found everything I was looking for in the band Ghoultown, even costumes (though I suspect they dress this way more often than not), and I got all their albums. Can't believe I never heard of them before. I've listened to about half their songs now, from their earliest album up to 2004, including this one:

Ghoultown - "Carry the Coffin" (live)

No comments:

Post a Comment