Thursday, March 15, 2012

More Thoughts On My Future Songs

Thinking about a softer theme once I finally get back to writing lyrics. Instead of arguing with Darbyites, maybe I'll just write songs about the introduction of the kingdom in the first century, with a focus on the destruction of Jerusalem. Dark, dark days leading to a glorious future that has yet to be fully realized. The hope of resurrection. The kind of stuff only a postmillennialist would write songs about.

But if I change the words to my most recent song, I think I need to keep the line "They'll go after anyone / but the one who holds the lamp to light the way." I like that one.

Also thinking about open-mic nights. There's one within walking distance on Thursdays. I can play my one and only mathy composition pretty well on acoustic guitar, and it has an awesome math country/cowpunk vibe that I've never heard anywhere, especially when I sing along. Singing and playing that song at the same time is going to take a lot of practice. But if I could come up with two more songs like it that I could play live as a set and do it well, it would be pretty awesome.

Then I'd have to decide how to record it...do I go with layered, distorted electric guitars, bass, and sampled drums, or do I strip it all down and just play it on my acoustic? Maybe I'd try both, shop it around and find out which sounds better and has more impact. I think either way would be a good expression of myself and my art. I could always have an electric version and an acoustic version of an album--now that would be sort of unique!

No comments:

Post a Comment