Monday, December 5, 2011

First Math-y Composition!

I just composed my first math-rock song! I really didn't set out to do so, and that makes it all the sweeter.

Luckily, I was just as inspired this morning as I was last Tuesday. I took my laptop to the basement, turned on my amp, put my tambourine on the floor, hit record and started rocking. I played with complex time signatures for 2 1/2 minutes. Then I switched to the keyboard and started playing fake drums with my recorded guitar. It ended up a terrible mess, but an inspirational one.

I sat at the desk for several minutes, trying to decide what my next steps should be. How could I create something more organized, something actually composed and written down, and something I could put a real beat to? I opened up a Word document and started typing out chords and beat structures:

Gm 3 stop 3 stop
Db 3 stop
Gm 3 stop 3 stop
Db 3 stop
Pause

Db 3 stop
F 3 + 4
Db 2 + 3
F 3 + 4
Db 2 + 3
Eb 3 + 4
Db 3
Eb 3 + 4
Db 3...
And on like that. I ended up with three columns of small text on a page, which will probably be a minute to a minute-and-a-half of music. It has an intro, a theme, a bridge, and an outro. It's complicated and will take a lot of practice. I can now build an entire percussion pattern for me to play to (it would take a really fantastic drummer to be able to play this, but if anyone wants to try, that would be really awesome). And now I have a model for my entire album. I'm pretty pleased!

It's actually going to be mathcore, because it will be very fast and crazy. But now that I have the structure down on paper, it will sound a lot more chaotic than it actually will be!

Tomorrow's job, then, is to create the beats on my computer. That will be fun now that I know exactly where everything should go. Then I'll just add instruments one channel at a time. I won't even worry about lyrics until the music is done, unless the Lord brings some to mind before then.

We've only been doing this early-morning stuff for a few weeks, and I'm already feeling pretty good about both my album and my novel. I'm having a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment