Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Album Planning in the Infancy Stage

My new creative schedule was going to start today, but the new YMCA isn't quite open yet, so Tara and I slept a bit. I did get up a little early and spent some time listening to beat samples I downloaded free at Sample Magic. These will provide the audio I need for the percussion in my songs. I'll deconstruct the samples and make them into something totally new, of course.

I decided to go with a more electronica-influenced sound for this album, since my previous work using electronic drum sounds to mimic real drums sounds a bit weak. The percussion in my new songs will be influenced by Atari Teenage Riot and the experimentalism of Amon Tobin, among others. And every now and then I want to throw in a fat hip-hop beat, just enough. Audiences are used to electronic percussion that doesn't sound like real drumming, from disco to hip hop to jungle. But they aren't used to hearing it combined with noisy guitars and post-hardcore vocals in an experimental, math-rock-influenced style. This will be something new, particularly in Christian music. I haven't been able to find exactly the type of sound I'm planning anywhere.

And there will be more than guitars, percussion and vocals. I got a free organ when we moved here a year ago, and I still haven't used it. I figured, while I'm being experimental, why not throw in some organ? And some tambourine and Mellotron too, for an excellent mix of organic and digital. So what will I call this kind of music? I haven't actually heard it yet, but what I'm hearing in my head is something like electropsych noisecore. Google has no record of that term being used!

I'm still thinking about what I want to do lyrically. If I want my music to be as intense as possible, maybe I should dive into some of the darker passages of the Bible and explore those. A song about what the Bible says about false prophets might be interesting. A song exploring a wild Bible story you won't hear in Sunday school could be good. As a postmillennialist, I've got to have a song about Earth's awesome future the way I see it, so the album won't be totally dark--but totally intense.

No comments:

Post a Comment