Monday, November 28, 2011

Post-Holiday Block

We came home last night from a Thanksgiving trip to St. Louis. I didn't do anything inspiring, but we did watch Horrible Bosses. It was fun, but not really funny. It was sort of a modern-day Three Stooges story, and I didn't find much there to inspire me.

I got up this morning to continue work on this new song idea, if you can call it that. I listened to a couple of XBXRX songs for inspiration, I listened to the clip I made last week, and I practiced the guitar parts I learned. I even worked on a few more guitar parts. But I was totally stumped creatively. I wasn't sure how to proceed. Luckily, poor Neavey coughed herself awake, and I had to get her up and spend some time with her, saving me from my creative black hole. I wonder if publishing that clip on this blog (and then copying the post to Facebook) was a psychological mistake.

Fortunately none of the songs on my future album will be very long, and none of them need to be a completely composed masterpiece from the very start. Maybe what I need tomorrow is just a jam session to spark some ideas. I already have a riff, a pattern, a rhythm. Maybe I should just hit "record" and start playing around on the guitar. Then I can come back fresh next week with some new ideas and start creating more rhythms to play to. Perhaps a new bass line will help, maybe for the song's verses. Maybe if I create a bass line along with a drum loop in my tracker, I can then recreate it with my guitar and make a complete verse. This is why I have this journal!

No comments:

Post a Comment