Friday, November 18, 2011

Christian Punk from Sweden and Carlito's Way

My ongoing search for good, creatively aggressive rock music by Christians paid off again today. I just downloaded the first album by the Swedish band Blindside called A Thought Crushed My Mind (2000). I think it's probably post-hardcore, but I don't know a lot about those things. This is way better than everything Skillet, Thousand Foot Krutch and all those other bands of Christians are putting out these days, though some of that is pretty good. I'll have to look for Blindside's other albums and see how they've been evolving since 2000. But this is a very promising start. They have a very genuine sound compared to most of the music I've heard Christians making lately.

Check out the song I'm hearing right now, "Act":


My film this morning was Carlito's Way (1993), that is, the first two-thirds of it. It's a great story, though it seems like I've seen the bad-guy-trying-to-make-good-but-no-one-lets-him story a few times before. Maybe this was the first of its kind? Can't wait to see the rest of it. We just saw Luis Guzmán guest-star on Community last night, so it was funny to see him in one of his biggest films this morning. I have to admit I didn't even know who he was until last night.

I didn't get to read any fiction at all this week. I slept an extra hour yesterday to try to get healthy. If I'm still sick on Monday, I'd better call the doctor. I haven't had a chest cold like this in years, though I used to get them every year before I met Tara. I've been sleeping in my office for days so she can sleep, so I'm spending at least 80% of my time, waking and sleeping, in this little room. Good thing I like this room.

No comments:

Post a Comment