Thursday, November 3, 2011

Tough Truths

Still waiting for that Y to open, but last night I read Luke chapter 14. Still struggling my way through Luke, but this chapter could certainly be revisited for some good song lyrics.

I find it interesting that Jesus addresses the personal glory one receives when humbling oneself in order to receive glory here on Earth (v. 10). This makes total sense to a selfish human who wants to be esteemed among his peers. But then, when He addresses the man who invited them there, He encourages him to invite and serve those who can't pay him back. There's no immediate gain to be found here, but He says in verse 14 that "you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you; for you shall be repaid at the resurrection of the just." So there's still a selfish aspect to this kindness, but one whose rewards are far off in the future. As far as I can tell, the resurrection of all justified people is still in our future, though this is debated by a small minority of preterists.

I love the guy in verse 15 who blurts out something in an attempt to sound like Jesus! "Blessed is he who shall eat bread in the kingdom of God!" Which of course Jesus answers with a parable. This one definitely seems to be about the invited Jews vs the broken Gentiles (like me!) who actually get to attend Christ's Supper (v. 24).

I agree with most teachers on the meaning of verse 26. It's the concept of denying oneself so that total union with Christ can be possible. I wonder, though, why Jesus used the phrase "cannot be My disciple" in verses 27 and 33. Surely His twelve closest disciples didn't hate their families! Was He just making a point, as many teach? Can anyone truly be His disciple? And if I count the cost and decide it's too high, what shall become of me?

And what does it mean for salt to lose its flavor (v. 34)? I don't want to be thrown out. Is this what happens to those who count the cost and decide it's too high, or to those who fail to count the cost and can't finish what they've started? I've read this passage since childhood and still can't make heads or tails of it.

I'm encouraged by verse 32 somehow. If I decide my ten thousand can't stand up to the twenty thousand coming against me, can I send a delegation with conditions of peace? If I decide I'm not cut out to be Paul or Timothy, can I just be Luke or one of Paul's friends that gets a mention? Are these analogies meant to encourage us to be His disciples or to discourage us because it's too much to handle for most of us?

No comments:

Post a Comment