Monday, November 21, 2011

Song Creation and Rock Rumination

I built a couple of long measures of experimental dance beat this morning, based on hip hop but sped way up. They're in 12/4 time, I think, but I'll put a measure of 7/4 or something in-between to break up the rhythm even more. It already sounds crazy. I added a synth sound to help me know how the lead guitar riff should go. Tomorrow will be my first morning in the basement working on guitar for this project. Yes, of course I'll take the baby monitor with me!

I'm not sure how I feel about the rhythm line so far. I'm not sure there's anything I could do that would make me feel really good about it until I add guitar. But I have to have something to play guitar to, so it's a catch-22. But there's always the option of switching out the rhythm for another one after I've recorded guitars. That's the great thing about recording in multiple channels.

I didn't realize until we were driving home from church yesterday that Blindside has a 2011 album. Their new hit is on rotation on Radio U. I must be the last Christian-who-loves-rock-music on Earth to hear about Blindside. I wouldn't have even paid attention to them if Pandora.com hadn't played me one of their older songs on Friday. Unfortunately the new hit is nothing like their old stuff, just like Skillet and all these other bands that have gone so far downhill in the last decade. It's so sad to see. Is it fame, is it growing older, is it running out of good ideas and not realizing it? Is it some combination of these? 

You would think that Internet file sharing would make these bands want to work harder to stand out and not sound like everyone else, but maybe they're mainstreaming to get the biggest possible audience rather than ostracizing the mainstream listener with experimentation and innovation. So far the only band of Christians I've found that are experimenting at all with the standard rock/punk/metal sounds is Children 18:3. And they seem to be doing quite well. Thank God for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment